Find a form

R40 - Claim for repayment of tax deducted from savings and investments


Form URL
pdf icon R40 (PDF, 102KB)

Use form R40 to claim back tax if you think you've paid too much on your savings interest and send the completed form to your Tax Office. If you do not have a Tax Office, send it to:

Leicester & Northants (Claims),
Saxon House,
1 Causeway Lane,
LE1 4AA.

Use form R40 to claim a refund if you think you have paid too much tax on interest from your savings
Order this form online
Order this form online

Help and guidance relating to this form

Form URL
R40 Notes - Notes for completing form R40 (PDF, 197KB)
These notes will help you to make a repayment claim for a tax year
Form URL
Getting tax-free interest on savings or claiming tax back
If you don't pay tax because your income is low, find out how you can get your savings interest tax-free.
Form URL
Tax refunds and reclaiming overpaid tax
If you think you are due a refund on your employment or self-employment income, and find out how to claim.

Related forms

R85 - Getting your interest without tax taken off (2014)
Use form R85 to tell your bank or building society that you qualify for tax-free interest on your account

Help with PDF files

PDF is a file format that lets you view and print a document in a style which matches the look and feel of the paper version - including fonts, colours, images and layout.

To view these documents you need to use a PDF viewer such as Adobe Reader.

Get help viewing PDFs

Forms in alternative formats

If you would like an HMRC form in large print, Braille or another alternative format, please contact the relevant HMRC helpline - see the link below.

Contact HMRC