Find a form

VAT 1 - Value Added Tax - Application for Registration

Most applications for VAT registration can be completed online

Register online for VAT


Form URL
pdf icon VAT 1 (PDF, 106KB)

Use form VAT 1 to register for VAT. You can use VAT 1 if you are starting a new business, registering your existing business or acquiring an existing business.

For all standard registration applications, please send your completed form to: VAT Registration Service, Crown House, Birch Street, Wolverhampton, WV1 4JX.

For applications to register a VAT group or if you wish to keep the previous owner’s VAT Registration Number, send your completed form to: Grimsby Registration Unit, Imperial House, 77 Victoria Street, Grimsby, DN31 1DB.

If you are applying for UK VAT but are abroad and you wish to deal directly with HMRC, please send your completed form to: Non Established Taxable Persons Unit (NETPU), HM Revenue & Customs, Ruby House, 8 Ruby Place, Aberdeen, AB10 1ZP.

Use form VAT 1 to register your business for VAT

Help and guidance relating to this form

Form URL
VAT 1 (Notes) - Application for Registration - Notes (PDF, 121KB)
Use this guide to help you register for VAT using form VAT 1
Form URL
How to sign up to use VAT online services
It may be faster, easier, more secure and more reliable to apply for your VAT registration online

Forms in other languages

Form URL
VAT1W Treth ar Werth (TAW) - Cais am gofrestriad (PDF, 795KB)
Treth ar Werth (TAW) - Cais am gofrestriad

Related forms

VAT 1A - Application for Registration - Distance Selling
Use form VAT 1A to register your business for distance selling into the UK
VAT 1B - Application for Registration - Acquisitions
Use form VAT 1B to register for UK VAT if you make acquisitions of goods from other EU states and bring those goods into the UK
VAT 1C - VAT Registration Notification
Use form VAT 1C to register for VAT if you are making supplies of 8th or 13th Directive goods
VAT 1TR - Appointment of Tax Representative
Use form VAT 1TR if you engage in distance selling into the UK and want to appoint a UK tax representative
VAT 2 - Value Added Tax - Partnership Details
Use form VAT 2 to provide details of partners when you register a partnership for VAT
VAT 50 - Application for VAT Group Treatment
Use form VAT 50 to apply for VAT group treatment or to add companies to an existing VAT group
VAT 51 - Application for VAT group treatment - company details
When registering or amending a VAT group using form VAT 50 use form VAT 51 to give details of each company in the group

Help with PDF files

PDF is a file format that lets you view and print a document in a style which matches the look and feel of the paper version - including fonts, colours, images and layout.

To view these documents you need to use a PDF viewer such as Adobe Reader.

Get help viewing PDFs

Forms in alternative formats

If you would like an HMRC form in large print, Braille or another alternative format, please contact the relevant HMRC helpline - see the link below.

Contact HMRC