Capital Gains Tax enquiries for individuals, employees and self-employed

Check our website

Capital Gains Tax
Helping you to understand and work out your Capital Gains Tax
Capital Gains Tax rates and annual tax-free allowances
Check current and previous years' Capital Gains Tax rates and the Annual Exempt Amount


Taxes Helpline

Opening hours
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Closed Sundays and bank holidays
0300 200 3300
For customers who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired:
0300 200 3319 (Textphone)
A textphone allows you to type what you want to say rather than speaking into a mouthpiece. You can use a textphone instead of a voice telephone if you are deaf or have problems with your speech. It is not possible to speak to an adviser by phoning a textphone number.


You can write to HMRC by using the postal address on the most recent correspondence from us. If you don't have recent correspondence from us then write to:

HM Revenue & Customs
Capital Gains Tax
PO Box 1970
L75 1WX
If your query is in respect of the areas listed below, please write to the PO Box address in Glasgow.

HM Revenue & Customs
Local Compliance
Personal & CGT Compliance S0970
PO Box 3900
G70 6AA
- Negligible Value claims (S24 TCGA 1992) for unlisted shares
- Business disposals (including rollover, taper, incorporation and entrepreneurs' relief)
- Overpayment relief where a claim is in respect of CGT issue
- Mansworth v Jelley or HMRC v Smallwood amended loss claims
- Claims under S48 and S279A TCGA 1992
- 2007/2008 & earlier EIS CGT deferral relief claims