National Insurance enquiries for the self-employed

Check our website

Self-employed tax and National Insurance
Find out how to register with HMRC when you start a business, basic information on Self-Assessment, National Insurance, VAT and record keeping
How to pay Class 2 National Insurance
Find out more information on the available options for making self-employed Class 2 National Insurance


National Insurance Self-Employed Helpline

For assistance with:
- Class 2 six monthly bill queries
- Class 3 quarterly bill queries
- Direct Debit queries
- Changes of payment method
- Small Earnings Exception
- Changes in self-employment status including ceasing self-employment

The helpline can't provide you with an Unique Tax reference number. You will find it on any Self Assessment letters or you will need to contact your HMRC Office by following the Contact us link below.
Opening hours
8.30 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday
Closed weekends and bank holidays
0300 200 3505
For customers who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired:
0300 200 3519 (Textphone)
A textphone allows you to type what you want to say rather than speaking into a mouthpiece. You can use a textphone instead of a voice telephone if you are deaf or have problems with your speech. It is not possible to speak to an adviser by phoning a textphone number.
Contact Us