Check our website

What to do about tax and benefits after a death
How to handle tax or benefit affairs after a death, and who to notify about the death
Claiming back Income Tax on behalf of someone who has died
Find out when a tax refund might be due and how to claim it


Taxes Helpline

Telephoning the deceased's HMRC office.
Opening hours
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Closed Sundays and bank holidays
0300 200 3300
For customers who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired:
0300 200 3319 (Textphone)
A textphone allows you to type what you want to say rather than speaking into a mouthpiece. You can use a textphone instead of a voice telephone if you are deaf or have problems with your speech. It is not possible to speak to an adviser by phoning a textphone number.
If you're calling from abroad please telephone:
+44 135 535 9022
If the deceased was receiving tax credits, Child Benefit or other payments dealt with by HMRC, you'll also need to tell the relevant helpline of the death.

You might also need to contact HMRC if:
- the deceased was paying voluntary National Insurance contributions
- the deceased was self employed and paying National Insurance contributions by Direct Debit
- Inheritance Tax is due
- the Estate needs to pay tax on untaxed income or Capital Gains Tax
- the deceased is registered for VAT

Follow the 'Bereavement' link below to find details of other relevant helplines.


If you need to write to HMRC about Income Tax and bereavement, such as form R27 (reclaiming tax or paying tax when someone dies), Self Assessent Tax Return and any other correspondence relating to bereavement for Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment, write to the address below.

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue & Customs

Please clearly mark your letter 'Bereavement' so that we can quickly direct it to a dedicated team. The team will be responsible for dealing with Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment bereaved customers.