Newly Self-Employed Helpline

Check our website

Tax and National Insurance for the self-employed
How to register with HMRC when you start a business, basic information on Self-Assessment, National Insurance, VAT and record keeping


Newly Self-Employed Helpline

This helpline enables you to register for National Insurance, tax and VAT.

The helpline can't provide you with an Unique Tax reference number. You will find it on any Self Assessment letters or you will need to contact your HMRC Office by following the Contact us link below.
Opening hours
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Closed Sundays and bank holidays
0300 200 3504
For customers who are deaf or hearing or speech impaired:
0845 915 3296 (Textphone)
A textphone allows you to type what you want to say rather than speaking into a mouthpiece. You can use a textphone instead of a voice telephone if you are deaf or have problems with your speech. It is not possible to speak to an adviser by phoning a textphone number.
Contact us